“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armour of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes” – Ephesians 6:10-11
Well, we’re one week into our fast. Many of us will have experienced moments which have been harder than others to push through, but we can do it! Fasting can be challenging so it is important that we put on God’s full armour as outlined in Ephesians 6. Don’t give up! Use your spiritual weapons and breakthrough to victory.
Our 21 Day Fast is important as we collectively, as one body, pray and seek God’s face. However the Bible also encourages us to make fasting an integral part of our lives; this could be fasting one day a week, or frequently through the year.
The benefits of such a ‘fasted lifestyle’ are huge! It can benefit you physically and mentally, however, the real benefit is spiritual. As you fast and pray more regularly you will find that you become more spiritually sensitive. It is easier to hear when God is speaking to you. You become more at one with the Holy Spirit and move into new levels of freedom in Christ!
The Bible outlines many reasons why we should fast:
– We do it because it’s being obedient to God’s Word
– It helps us to come into a place of deeper intimacy with God
– It humbles us before God
– It positions us to obtain His grace and power
– It helps us to overcome temptations
– It allows us to become weak before God so that He can be strong in us
– It’s a powerful thing to do in times of crisis
– It opens up our eyes when seeking God’s direction
– It releases divine understanding and revelation
– It creates an environment for prayer
– It helps us to obtain breakthroughs in difficult situations
As you fast and you face the days and moments where it feels more difficult, put on the armour God has already given you and stand strong, remembering and setting before you the reason why you are doing it. This brings strength to see it to completion.
– Dr Dermot Murphy